Sunday, October 24, 2010

Oct 23, 2010 - First big storm of the season - Bald Eagle, floors and trees down

I don't know about you guys but this is really early to be talking about storms with lots of rain and high winds! It has me thinking that it is going to be a long, cold and wet winter.
Floor Update- The floor is not done yet after 4 days of working on it. There is a problem because the stair caps that were sent are not the right size for the floating floor. They are made for the tongue and groove, nail down floor. Lowe's and the installers called the manufacturer who said they don't make a stair cap for this floor. They want you to plane down the cap and build up the flooring on the stairs. Excuse me? I have 27 stairs in that house because of the lower basement level. You are not going to jerry rig all of those stairs it will take days of work and it won't be right. So, Lowe's is going to get the tongue and groove flooring and send it out for the stairs and have them glued down. Of course I have to wait for that to happen.. so I started painting baseboards. This is going to be awhile longer. Nick and I got a lot done, including repairing the fencing that was down and allowing the deer to walk into the garden area, tilling up the dirt and other outside things.

On the way to Jackson on Saturday I saw a bald eagle sitting on a dead tree in the river. I didn't have my camera with me but I was very excited! I have only seen a bald eagle at Shaver Lake with binoculars.. this was sitting about 50 feet from the roadway. 
The big storm rolled in overnight and brought down a big tree branch across the driveway. I am so thankful Nick was with me because I would still be there trying to hack it into pieces and carry it off. Here are the pictures of us working in the rain and wind to get it cleared. And what a work horse that ATV is for us around the property. I know it is fun to ride and all but let me tell you, we rely on that thing for lots of stuff that we never knew we would need.

Branch down - blocking the driveway. It was about 30 ft long and lodged in the oak tree.

Nick hacking away and some of the branches. I helped too and it still took us an hour in that cold rain.

The branch got stuck on the fence when we tried to pull it, so we had to cut it in half.

At Last! The first half is being pulled down to a lower field out of the way.

Back 1/2 that was still stuck on the fence - Nick and I rocked it and got it down on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment