Saturday, May 7, 2016

Deck Repair Project Update - May 2016


If you look back at the 2 posts I did about the deck project, you will see that a lot of work went into it.

In fact in the 2nd post I document how I filled the holes and gaps in the wood, how I sanded it and prepped and painted it.

 I am so angry right now because less than 2 years later, as soon as it started to rain, the paint started peeling. And it continues to peel off.. especially on the railings. Last winter we had the horrible drought so very little rain at all.. this winter we got rain! Hallelujah! But my deck is peeling! 

I thought that maybe I had the wrong kind of paint - but I didn't. In fact when I look at the blog pictures you can see it is exterior paint with primer. The guy at the Home Depot said even that I wouldn't need to primer the wood with that paint. SHEESH!

Railing Paint - I keep all the labels. 
 What is worse is that the Behr Deck Over paint is starting to flake off where it is exposed to water.I am hopeful that I can stop this before it gets as bad as the railing.. it is holding up better for sure. Still not excited by the performance of it though.
 This took a lot of time and I spent several hundred dollars on this paint... I going to go to Lowe's and buy Valspar to match. Valspar seems to be better than Behr.


No comments:

Post a Comment